Currently, there are 8 states with statutes or regulations that allow pharmacists to prescribe tobacco cessation aids (without a CPA or local standing order).
Tobacco Cessation Prescribing Map
- Pharmacist-provided tobacco cessation services fact sheet
- Pharmacist prescribing tobacco cessation infographic
- Pharmacist prescriptive authority for smoking cessation medications in the United States
- Includes FAQs helpful for advocacy!
NASPA Members log-in for more!
- CMCS Bulletin on the Value of Pharmacist Prescribing
- ASTHO: Access to Tobacco Cessation Medication through Pharmacists
- Pharmacists Authorized to Prescribe Tobacco Cessation Therapy in More States
- Video: ‘We’re Passionate About It’: Pharmacists Help Coloradans Quit Smoking (CBS Denver; October 10, 2018)
CPE Opportunities from State Pharmacy Associations:
- Furnishing Nicotine Replacement Therapy: Smoking Cessation Training Program for Pharmacists (California)
- Tobacco Cessation Training Course (Pennsylvania)
- Tobacco Cessation Certificate: Pharmacists as Tobacco Cessation Counselors (Washington)
Other State Pharmacy Association Resources:
Click here to go back to the general pharmacist prescribing resource page.