Every state allows pharmacists to administer immunizations, but laws vary widely in the details surrounding that authorization. There are three main categories to consider when looking at pharmacists’ vaccination authority by state:
- Which vaccines can be administered: Can pharmacists administer all FDA-approved vaccines, CDC/ACIP-recommended vaccines, or only vaccines specifically listed in statute?
- Who prescribes the vaccine for a patient: The pharmacist (independent authority) or another healthcare provider via protocol or prescription (dependent authority)?
- What patient can receive a vaccine from a pharmacist: Are there age ranges or other limits in place, and are they the same for all vaccines the pharmacist is allowed to administer, or does it vary depending on the vaccine?
The interactive map below provides a visual representation of how broad pharmacists’ vaccination authority is in each state.
Click below for a detailed updated resource of pharmacist authority to provide vaccinations, by vaccination type, as of September 2020.
- The American Journal of Managed Care: The Essential Role of Community Pharmacies in Expanding Access to Vaccines
- Pharmacy Times: The Value of Pharmacy Immunization
- Revcycle Intelligence: Shifting Vaccinations to the Pharmacy Lowers Healthcare Costs
- HHS declaration of expanding pharmacist authority to give all childhood vaccines
- HHS declaration of pharmacist authority to give COVID-19 vaccines
- USA Today article: Pharmacists in all 50 states can give childhood shots to prevent future outbreaks
- CNN article: Pharmacists now allowed to administer childhood vaccines
- CDC recommended vaccine-related courses
- APhA Immunization Delivery Certificate
- Pediatric Vaccine Refresher for Pharmacists
- PREP Act Amendments and Declarations
- Explanation of HHS declaration from APhA
- Immunize.org (includes Vaccine Information Statements, CDC schedules, patient handouts, clinic tools, state laws/mandates)
- CDC guidance for pharmacies during COVID-19
- Preparing for the COVID-19 vaccine ASTHO article
- Adult Immunization NEHI brief
Social Media Toolkit
NASPA state pharmacy association members, please log in to access the toolkit.